The IREC was created on February 24, 1999, through a specific agreement between the CSIC, UCLM, and the JCCM. Therefore, it is a mixed Institute with ownership shared between these three institutions, represented in the Government's bodies of the Institute through the Steering Committee, which has within its functions to give support to IREC in front of other institutions and entities, in order to achieve the best performance and promotion of the Institute.
The IREC is the first Spanish scientific center dedicated to the investigation of different aspects relating to hunting activityunderstood as a renewable natural resource.
Since its inception in 1999 until June 2002, the headquarters of the IREC was provisionally located in facilities of the University of Castilla-La Mancha at Libertad street of Ciudad Real. Today, IREC is headquartered on the Campus of Ciudad Real, in a modern building built by the CSIC, together with the Rector's Office and the Paraninfo Luis Arroyo (see map). This building counts with offices, laboratories, library and other facilities dedicated to the research, training and dissemination of the scientific knowledge on the species of interest for hunting.
Directors of IREC:
- 1999-2000 - Sacramento Garrido Moreno.
- 2000-2003 - Rafael Villafuerte Fernandez. During its mandate the opening of the current building took place at the University Campus of Ciudad Real. Is wide the management team with the addition of a Deputy Director
- 2003-2004 - Julian Garde Lopez-Brea (Acting Director). During his mandate one staff sufficient critical mass, was reached which allowed the creation of the collegiate bodies of the Institute: Institute Board and Scientific Board.
- 2004-2008 - Christian Gortazar Schmidt. First Director proposed by the Scientific Board of the IREC. During his mandate be creates the figure of Secretary of Institute (position established by the UCLM)
- 2008-2010 - Javier Viñuela Madera
- 2010-2011-Rafael Mateo Soria (Interim Director )
- 2011-2015 - Jorge Cassinello Roldán. During its mandate is expanded the management team, from one to two Vice-Directors.
- 2015-nowadays-Rafael Mateo Soria